Cal Fire says York Fire caused by lit cigarette

MONTEREY COUNTY, Calif. - UPDATE 10/16/2017 3:42 p.m. According to Cal Fire, the York Fire which burned 31 acres in Monterey County over the weekend was caused by a lit cigarette butt.

Firefighters responded to a call for a vegetation fire near York School off of South Boundary Road near Del Rey Oaks around 2:20 p.m. Sunday.

The fire was stopped around 7 p.m. 50 residents in the York Road area were evacuated and South Boundary Road was closed for four hours. All evacuations were lifted and there were no injuries reported.

PREVIOUS STORY:  5:25 p.m. All evacuation orders have been lifted in the York Fire as crews stop forward progress on the 32 acre blaze, according to Cal Fire.

Original Story:

Firefighters from several different agencies are making good progress on the York Fire burning near Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in Monterey County, according to Cal Fire. 

As of 5 p.m. Sunday, the fire had burned at least 31 acres as winds blew the smoke inland.  The fire is 50 percent contained, Cal Fire said. Earlier in the day, residents on York Road were told to evacuate, however firefighters say no homes are being threatened.

A evacuation center has been setup at the Moose Lodge at 555 Canyon Del Rey, Del Rey Oaks.  We will update this story as more information becomes available.




comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories