Central Coast

Dear Jon: Abandoned cars don't have to be an eyesore

Cities and counties have vehicle abatement programs

Let's face it; the last thing you want is for an abandoned car to be an eyesore in front of your home. Bryan sent me note and asked, "Dear Jon, there's a car parked on the street in front of my house. I've asked the neighbors if it's their car and it's not. How do I deal with this nuisance?"

The key here is if the car is on public property, if it is, you can have the city or county deal with it. But if the car is on private property, then that's your problem.

For Bryan, the car is on the city street in front of his house. In this case, you can call the city's Vehicle Abatement officer or VAO. The officer a non-sworn Community Service Officer that takes these complaints, usually via a phone answering machine.

So here's what happens, if you have a car that you want to report, there's actually a State Vehicle Code 22651(k) CVC- that gives cities and counties the right to remove abandoned cars from public property after 72 hours.

The cities and counties of Monterey and Santa Cruz, along with Salinas, Seaside and Marina, have vehicle abatement hotlines that you can call and leave a message about an abandoned car you'd like to be removed.

When you call, leave a description of the car and the license plate number on the VAO's phone line. The officer's procedure is to mark the car and then if it's still there in three more days they'll have it towed away.

But remember, this is only on public city or county property.

If you have a question for me, use the link above or DearJon@KIONRightNow.com. I'm also on Facebook at "Jon K Brent KIONKCOY" and Twitter at "DearJonKBrent."

comments powered by Disqus