Monterey

Monterey Old Fisherman's Wharf lease discussion sparks heated debate

MONTEREY, Calif. - Monterey plans to review its lease policy for Old Fisherman's Wharf at Tuesday night's City Council meeting.

Leading up to the meeting, businesses and supporters plan to protest the city's discussion on the issue.

Last year, the city decided to change its policy, after negotiations on rental agreements failed. Those changes caused several businesses to get eviction notices.

"When leases are up we want to get to market rate that doesn't mean that it has to go from where it is today to market rate tomorrow and we expressed interest and council expressed interest in taking some time and ramping up market rate over a period of years," said city manager Mike McCarthy.

Last month, Balesteri's Wharf Front was evicted after being in its location for nearly 40 years. Owner Sam Balesteri said he had been paying $4,000 in rent on a month to month basis for the past two years.

"It's stolen. To me it's thievery. It's like having a gun at your back," Balesteri said.


comments powered by Disqus