MONTEREY, Calif. - New affordable housing in Monterey has begun with the removal of buildings on Monday but demolition started last week, according to officials.
The project will be developed on city-owned property and will provide 18 brand new affordable rental housing units for extremely low, very low and low-income seniors.
Officials said the project will include a community room, an exercise room, and a large patio.
The location is ideal for senior housing due to its close proximity to many senior services such as medical and health care offices, the library and downtown businesses.
“The concept for this project began back in 2002, and now with the support of federal funds, we are ready to make it happen,” said Mayor Clyde Roberson.
According to officials, the property of six separate parcels, was purchased with the assistance of federal Community Development Block Grant funds in the years 2000 and 2002 for the purpose of developing affordable housing.
The city has been required to secure additional water credits for the project, evaluate the historic resource potential of the buildings and find a well-qualified, affordable housing developer to build and operate the housing units, officials said.
To accommodate the project, the City of Monterey Housing Office has moved from 669 Van Buren Street to 353 Camino El Estero.
During construction of the project, some on-street parking spaces will be limited in the 600 block of Van Buren Street. Construction is expected to last 10 to 12 months.