News

Soledad Amber Alert suspect bail set at $1 million

Raymond Guiterrez in court Wednesday

Soledad Amber Alert suspect bail set...

SALINAS, Calif. - UPDATE 7/19/2017 5:30 p.m.:

The homeless man accused of kidnapping an infant, sparking at Amber Alert out of Soledad, faced a judge on Wednesday.

Bail for Raymond Guiterrez, 43, was set at $1 million. He has been charged with kidnapping and car theft with an enhancement for a prior car theft. The Monterey County District Attorney’s Office said he had a long criminal history, which includes prior robbery and attempted robbery convictions.

Authorities say on Monday, he stole a car with eight month old Emiliano Salinas in it. His father had put the baby into his Honda Accord and ran back into their home to grab something. When he returned, both the car and the baby were gone.

"So many things went through my mind at that moment,” he said. “The worst. But at the same time you’re hoping nothing happens to him, it was a difficult moment."

Nothing did happen to him. A few hours after he went missing, Emiliano was found in San Jose, rescued by good samaritans. Guiterrez was arrested Monday afternoon, driving the same car authorities said he has stolen earlier in the day.

Emiliano’s father said his family is trying to recover from what happened on Monday.

"I would tell him that I hope he regrets what he did,” he said. “And I thank God he didn’t do anything to my son. Apparently he's intentions weren’t to harm us, he just wanted to take our car to get him to where he was going."

ORIGINAL POST:

"So many things went through my mind at that moment. The worst. But at the same time, you're hoping nothing happens to him. It was a difficult moment," said the father of Emiliano Salinas. 

8-month-old baby, Emiliano Salinas was in his fathers car when the suspect, Raymond Gutierrez stole it Monday morning in Soledad. The baby was later found in San Jose. 

Gutierrez faced a judge Wednesday in Salinas. He's being arraigned on one count of kidnapping, one count of car theft, with an enhanced charge for prior car theft and he already has two strikes against him for convictions of robbery and attempted robbery according to the Monterey County District Attorney's Office. 

Gutierrez bail has been set at $1 million. 

KION's Mariana Hicks has more from the family of baby Emiliano Salinas and will explain what's to come for Gutierrez at 5 p.m. 


comments powered by Disqus