Entrance fees going up for Pinnacles National Park

MONTEREY COUNTY, Calif. - Pinnacles National Park is raising its entrance fees.

Starting on January 1, 2018, the park will increase fees from $15 to $25 per vehicle, $20 per motorcycle, and $12 per person for a seven day entrance pass. Annual park passes will also go up to $50. Camping fees will not change.

Entrance fees are not charged to someone under 16 years old or holders of the America the Beautiful-The National Parks and Federal Recreational Annual Senior, Access, Military or Volunteer passes.

According to Pinnacles, the park decided to move forward with the fee hikes after getting feedback from the public on the plan.

“Entrance fees are crucial to funding facility improvement projects, visitor services, and resource protection efforts,” said Pinnacle National Park Superintendent Karen Beppler-Dorn. “After carefully considering the impact of this increase to our visitors and our gateway communities, we decided that this was the best course of action for the park.”

The current National Park Service fee program allows parks to keep 80% of the money collected. The remaining 20% goes into a fund to support park units where fees are not charged.

The additional money brought in from the fee hike will be used to pay for projects such as the rehabilitation of the Bear Valley School, the construction of vault toilets to replace portable facilities, and the building of a new entrance station on the east side of the park.

Pinnacles National Park will also be offering free admission on four days in 2018.

Those days include: January 15th, April 21st, September 22, and November 11th.

comments powered by Disqus

Most Popular Stories